On 8 August 2018 at 03:17, Brent Loschen <brent.losc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And now for my question.  The old Bridgeport had a button on the front panel
> titled "No Z" that turned off all z motion and let me "air mill" a part as a
> sanity check of my X & Y boundaries/fixtures.  I can't find the equivalent
> functionality in LCNC and was wondering if anyone here has done this, or
> knows the best way to implement it.

I suspect this would start off looking easy and turn out to be
surprisingly difficult.

Turning off the Z is pretty easy, you would disable the Z stepgen and
(at the same time) connect  joint.2.motor-pos-fb to
joint,2,motor-pos-cmd rather than to hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.2.position-fb.

Now the machine thinks that Z is moving, so it is happy, and the
stepgen is disabled, so no steps are sent. That just needs a mux2
component in the HAL.

But what happens when you release the button? Suddenly the machine
will realise that the Z axis is not where you told it it was, and you
will get an immediate following error. Also, the Z will attempt to
move to the "real" position at a speed only limited by the stepgen
accel and velocity limits.

So you probably need some Hal-trickery to gently move the Z back in to
commanded position, while at the same time lying about the position to
prevent following error being triggered.

--
atp
lunatics."