On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 08:17:03PM -0600, Brent Loschen wrote:

> And now for my question.?? The old Bridgeport had a button on the front
> panel titled "No Z" that turned off all z motion and let me "air mill" a
> part as a sanity check of my X & Y boundaries/fixtures.??

First congratulations on your first big retrofit.  Now for the
opinions:

As for the Z inhibit: are you using AXIS in LinuxCNC?  The preview
shows where the tool is going to go, so there's little need for
running in the air.  If you are concerned about getting close to a
fixture, you can jog the cone over onto the preview line (a jog
wheel is great for this) and then see where it will be when it runs.

I think Z inhibit (and inhibit all) are on old controls because they
didn't have useful previews.  You had no idea what the code was
going to do, or even if it would run or error or go crazy.  My Boss8
would just hang (it would stop and you had to push the control's
reset button on the back) for certain gcode errors, especially with
canned cycles.  But with LinuxCNC when you load your gcode you see a
correct preview or an error message telling you what's wrong with it
and where.

So I encourage you going to LinuxCNC with an open mind and not
trying to implement everything your old control had, whether it
makes sense or not.