I don’t want to start a big Mach bashing.  I just want to hear some opinions
from those who have set up a simple CNC plasma machine with both Mach and
Linuxcnc.

Are there any inherent advantages/disadvantages of one over the other for a
plasma cutter?

Here where I work they just purchased a cheap plasma table kit and they are
setting it up with Mach3.  (they being not me.)
My self, having zero experience with Mach3, probably would not have bothered
trying to even install Mach.
The machine is a simple stepper gantry using a Gecko 540 driver pack and I
think there is some form of THC contraption as well, but I have no details.

The two people setting it up know next to nothing about Mach3 or CNC, and even
less about Linuxcnc (hence their choice to go with the Mach3 setup.)  My guess
is that they are just following the instructions that came with the kit.

Unfortunately I am too busy at my end of the shop to offer them a whole lot of
assistance, and since I know nothing about the plasma side of cnc...

However I have threatened to come down to their end of the shop and install
LinuxCNC on it while they are not looking😊

Todd Zuercher
P. Graham Dunn Inc.<http://www.pgrahamdunn.com/index.php>
630 Henry Street
Dalton, Ohio 44618