On Wednesday 26 September 2018 14:06:36 Gene Heskett wrote:

[...[

> After this mornings work, the major remaining error is the nearly 4
> thou the z screw moves endways because of a poorly fitted thrust
> bearing. Thats too much backlash to correct with lcnc. And 3x the x
> backlash. Its a bear to get off to fix the preload which does not now
> exist. But it will be a good project while I wait for the stuff I
> ordered last night. I'll have a week to entertain myself before that
> stuff arrives, by which time I'll have had a couple near beers to
> celebrate my 84th. :)

I did that today inserting short bits of 10 thou shim between the outer
races of the twin AC ball bearings in the thrust bearing, which was
about 5 thou too much, but the clamp nut driving the inner races has an
excellent locking facility, so I took it up to to zero lash, and another
5 degrees for preload. Z backlash is now about 2.0 thou.

But in double checking x, I found it up to about 4 thou, quite dependent
on the location of the x table.  I dialed the pulley the motor drives,
zero end play there. That leaves the screws in the end of the nut cage,
driving a plate with a tapered bore at a 45 degree angle, compressing a
felt ring into the screws threads to serve both as a swarf wiper, oiler
AND the endplay adjuster in the shop made nut cage. The felts outer edge
has a finite thickness, and the felt seems to be doing a final collapse.
Pulling that out to get to those screws is a bigger project than I
wanted to tackle yet today, so thats tomorrows chore. I /think/ they are
on the back face of the nut cage, so uncovering the rear face of the
well covered tunnel that screw turns in, might let me get to them w/o a
full disassembly of the carriage.

I was attacked on the phone by a phisher today, so stopped the card and
got a new one. I'll see if between the fuzz and the banks security they
can stop him before he hurts somebody. If I find him first, the fuzz
won't have to worry. Like Marion Morrison (aka John Wayne) once said,
stupid should hurt. But not for long...