OK the dots really ARE multiple beams.   Perhaps you have a very poor
quality laser and the lens has facets like a cut diamond?  If it really is
"speckle" then it will change when you change anything and look like your
other laser.

But even if the beam has 40 spots, it will still work just fine this
purpose and maybe even better than a perfect laser would.  A complex signal
is helpful. As long as the dots don't have a pattern.

What you care about is the displacement (shift) from one image to the next
as you take images.  So you shift one image until it lines up perfectly
with the previous image and you remember how much shifting was required and
figure that must be caused by the bent/worn/warped bed.

With a complex image made of many random dots you not only can measure the
X and Y offset but a rotational component too, if one exists.   Yes, there
just might be a rotation on the lathe bad.

If you multiply two images together you get a huge spike when the alignment
is perfect The Wiki describe the 1D case but 2D is just the same.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autocorrelation

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California