On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 8:26 PM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 27 October 2018 19:23:58 Chris Albertson wrote:
>

> Sorry, I've never knowingly touched an arduino, so I know pretty close to
> zip about them.  The speed specs have never impressed me. OTOH, one per
> axis could probably get the job done.

An actual Arduino is almost obsolete.   The $2.25 STM part I linked to can
run circles aroubd it at 1/8th the cost and space.
They are 32 bit instructions and the chip runs at one asembly language
instruction per clock cycle ad this one goes abut abuot 80MHz.  The run the
ARM instruction set.

But as slow asthe Arduino is almost all 3D printer use it as their
controller.  A 3D printer has have 4 axis (x, y, z, and e.  where "e" is
the expruder) and thse little printer move much faster then any mill.  And
there is a Arnuino that reads the g-code and pushed the stepper motors.
 But some are now moving on to STM32 ARM chips.  They are easier to use.

But in any case one can certainly red g-code and do software stepping on 4
axis and make the machine move at 240 inches persecond using this littel
Arduino as a machine controller but I would not recommend it for new designs

> The first program I ever wrote, in assembly on an rca cosmac board had a
> machine cycle of 8 cycles of a 1.79 MHz clock.

I remember that chip.  The new systems are dramatically easier to program.
I got into programming fist in IBM mainframe computers like the s/360 and
then last foubd out about micocomputers at about the time the z80 came out
inthe late 1970's

The Arduino IDE wa designed so that non-programers, childrem and artest
could make computer controlled devices.  It is purposly set up to by very
easy to use.  It is a good entry point and works for manythings but you can
do more it you move up the ladder a step and use a development system that
suports a real-time OS.

> > But you do get better use of them using  ARM's MBED IDC which is only
> > a baby step above Arduino.
>
> I'm not sure how one would go about synching a rack of arduino's taking
> orders from LCNC, as all the precision is in linuxcnc.

The way they do it is place the PID velocity loop on the micro controller
and then update the commaned speed at what we call the servo rate.  The
micro sends positionand volocuty data back at the sae rate.  The position
pid loop is in a central controller.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California