I think the only reason to have a UPS on a machine is if you actually
wanted to run the machine after losing AC power.   that case the UPS would
be sized to power the entire machine, motors and all.

If you are concerned about file system corruption on power failure, two
things can help (1) use a modern Journaled file system.  These are VERY
crash resistant.  Most Linux distributions do use Journaled file system
like ext4. ext4 is very robust.    and if you are very worried use a
write-only file system to hold all the non-volatile files.   This method is
near "bomb proof" but takes some effort to set up.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California