On Thursday 27 December 2018 22:20:35 Greg Bentzinger via Emc-users
wrote:

> .
> 7i77 – Trying to understand TB2
>
> Pin 1 – VFIELD – FIELD Power 8-32V
> Pin 2 – VFIELD – FIELD Power 8-32V
> Pin 3 – VFIELD – FIELD Power 8-32V
> Pin 4 – VFIELD – FIELD Power 8-32V
> Pin 5 – VIN – FIELD I/O Logic Power 8-32V
> Pin 6, 7 – NC
> Pin 8 – Ground – COMMON
>
> So – are pins 1-4 common to each other, not common and can be supplied
> different voltages, common but redundant to allow for greater current
> transfer. Everyone I have ask has given completely different and
> conflicting answers. Since I have no idea what the encoder current
> draw will be I will be supplying TB1 with its own 5V powersupply and
> thus W1 will short the 2 pins on the right (farthest from the DB25) I
> have a second 24V powersupply which I have wired to each pin 1-5 with
> ground on pin 8. My notes show I did this wiring 12/3/17 and have yet
> to actually power it up as have yet to obtain a clear definitive
> answer as to if this is proper or a potential smoke machine.
>
> Greg

To further confuse the issue with my 7i76, it W1 is moved to the right,
no 5 volt feed goes there at all, the are several 5 volt inputs on
another terminal, so read that bit about moveing W1, and reread it
again. I think if a higher voltage field power is applied, it may be
only used for certain outputs. like 15 volts for controlling 12 to 15
volt rated relays. That also implies the use of free wheeling diodes on
the relay coil to protect the boards chips so don't forget that.