On Jan 28, 2019, at 5:31 PM, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 at 21:59, Thaddeus Waldner <thadw...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have a small machine with spindle motor driven by a Toshiba VFS-11 vfd.
... . Can someone direct me to a list of instructions on how to get it set
up that way?

The manual page is here:
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man1/vfs11_vfd.1.html

Are you familiar enough with LinuxCNC HAL for that to be enough? (I suspect
not, but would hate to appear patronizing)

Don’t worry about appearing too helpful; I will need all the help I can get. I
might be able to figure out how to implement the HAL component from the manual
page once I get the actual hardware in place.

What I do need help with first understanding is what hardware I need to make it
work. I have the machine up and running on a MESA 7i96. I also plan to add a
control panel with the MESA 7i73 pendant card. I mention this because as far as
I know the pendant card connects via the one serial port on the 7i96.

As I understand it, I need a RS485 port. Is it reasonably possible to add a
second serial port on some of the unused I/O pins to the MESA card? Would I be
better served buying a usb-RS485 adapter?
--
atp
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed