From: andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 4:07 AM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] VFS-11 modbus driver

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 at 01:39, Thaddeus Waldner <thadw...@gmail.com> wrote:

As I understand it, I need a RS485 port. Is it reasonably possible to add a
> second serial port on some of the unused I/O pins to the MESA card? Would I
> be better served buying a usb-RS485 adapter?

The vfs11 driver runs in user-space so the fact that you can't have
realtime control through USB is not such a problem. This means that a cheap
USB-RS485 dongle probably is as good a way to do it as any.
This is how I connected my VFD.
https://forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/18-computer/30675-on-motherboard-modbus-rs485-connection

--
atp
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed