Jon Elson wrote:

There's plenty more to it, but those are a few of the highlights. The Sheldon R-series was made in 13, 15 and 17" models.  My 15" with six foot bed weighs 3500 Lbs.  Good for stability.  My previous lathe was a 12" Atlas-Craftsman.  The difference in rigidity is just AMAZING!   See http://pico-systems.com/sheldon.html  for the whole saga of getting it moved in and fixed up.

Hi Jon,
Wow, who would of thought? I bought the same lathe(15) in an auction last year. The reason for building that rotary converter. Here it is!
<http://lakeweb.net/images/Sheldon.jpg>

Yes, same for me. I had a toy lathe and really learned that rigid was very important. I researched before bidding and word was that this is about as good as it gets.
Best, Dan.