On Wednesday 30 January 2019 19:36:15 Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On 30.01.19 05:17, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Watch the heat down there Eric, I'm hearing reports of above 40C
> > from your neck of the woods. Thats killer heat.  Do what we call
> > swamp (evaporative) coolers help?
>
> It was 45°C when I was out on the farm last Friday, fortunately a one
> off, and better than the 48.9°C further inland. I did read that the
> temperatures had doubled the state's death rate for the week, so
> you're right about the effects. Evaporative coolers can drop the
> temperature by more than 10°C for little energy expenditure, which is
> right handy at those temperatures. But we're on tank water out there,
> and even 100 litres per day extra consumption is problematic. The
> neighbours were out of drinking water more than half a year ago, all
> our dams bar one are dry now, and it's 4m down to the water in it.
> (Must admit though, there's a subsidy on trucked-in water, and a
> truckload would last all summer.)
>
> The plan is for solar powered aircon and plenty of insulation when the
> new build gets that far. When PV power is cheap and water is scarce,
> conventional economics go out the window.
>
> Let's hope the frigid vagrant polar winds up your end of the planet
> are temporary. They're even more lethal, I figure. It's unfortunate
> that they're pushed south by polar warming, as that's happening twice
> as fast as the global average, so there'll probably be more of it in
> the coming years.
>
> Erik

Yep, its downright crunchy out, about an inch of snow on the ground, and
2F right now, forecast for -5F in the late wee hours, 2F short of
setting a new record. Power has been iffy, my 20 kw auto nat gas has
fired up 3x in the last 36 hours. Too cold to be slick but these people
couldn't miss a power pole if they tried. This, as long as I'm dressed
for it, doesn't bother me a heck of a lot, but I sure feel sorry for the
locals who've never walked by a thermometer nailed to a tree that
said -39 while I was looking for something that would run to take me to
the top of the hill and put the local tv station on the air for the day.
years ago, 61 Stude Lark, battery was about 18" wide, 58 chevy St Wagon,
same story, that left my hunting truck, a 52 ford I'd swapped engines
in. full of 50 wt oil. 12 volt battery pushed the frozen oil out of the
way and about 3 minutes of cranking, had it running on 5 or 6 of its v8.
Tranny oil was frozen solid, took a minute to get it into reverse,
backed it out, another minute to get into low, groaned down my 90 yard
driveway to a bridge across the ditch to the main road, not steering at
all well, hit a dry spot about half a mile toward town and found I was
pushing one front wheel, bearings full of Pactola Lake water, then it
broke loose and another half a mile still in low at 500 revs listening
to dry rod bearings & wondering if the pan was gonna be big enough for
all the pieces. Suddenly the rod bearings shut up, and the oil pressure
guage started creeping up to about 15 psi, it had warmed up enough the
oil pump could move that 50 wt.  Got it into 2nd gear and kept on toward
Skyline drive and kota-tv transmitter in Rapid City SD. Was about 5
minutes late getting it on the air.  I think that was about as cold as I
saw it there in a decade.  So this -5F in the morning isn't much for me.
My biggest worry is the poor circulation in my diabetic feet, frostbyte
and gangrene could cost me my feet if I was dumb enough to go out and
stay out.

Too bad w can't trade about 15C, you could use the AC and we could use
the heat. ;-)