On Monday 18 February 2019 02:31:46 jrmitchellj wrote:

> Perhaps victims of the Trump tariffs!
>
> --J. Ray Mitchell Jr.
> jrmitche...@gmail.com
>

> "No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that
> created it"Albert Einstein
>
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 4:00 PM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:

> > > The disadvantage there is the rc charge time. This means among
> > > other things a relatively leasure velocity to the first trip, and
> > > a much slower 2nd approach, where as in using the dc circuit, one
> > > usually uses a rotating with the spindle probe so even  if it has
> > > some runnout, the contact surface is recorded an by the first
> > > contact discharging a .1 ufcapacitor, which takes long enough to
> > > recharge that the contacts logic zero, is captured and reported to
> > > LCNC instantly even if by the time the servo thread actually reads
> > > it, the contact has been lost again for .9 milliseconds. The rf
> > > circuit, cannot possibly respond in that time frame unless the
> > > closing velocities are also very slow. The DC method is inherently
> > > the faster method, but does require a very low ohmage connection
> > > in order to fully discharge the cap  on a 10 microsecond contact.
> > > And we definitely DON'T have a low resistance circuit on this
> > > machine.
> > >
> > > I have one of this old tony's contacts about 75% made, but out of
> > > a brass tube instead of a steel probe and I'll take the machine
> > > out of it by grounding the workpiece, and wiring the tube straight
> > > to the probe input, using the same old cap for storage. The brass
> > > is long enough it can hit and be bent 1/4" without damage as it
> > > will just spring back.
> > >
> > > But its been a long day today.  I'll figure out something thats
> > > hopefully repeatable.
> >
> > Got that done, almost worked when using brass against the edge of
> > this alu panel, so I thought I'd get fancy, and found a steel sewing
> > pit with the rounded backend sewing pin and soldered it into the tip
> > of the tube. Disaster, I can see it sliding along on jerks as I run
> > it back and forth touching the edge of the alu, but the only place
> > its making actual contact is where the brushed finish is damaged,
> > anyplace else needs a 10lb push with my finger to break thru the
> > aloxide and actually make a contact. Would probably work with most
> > anything metallic except the alu. To do this would need a 1kv
> > supply, limited to 1 microamp so as not to eat up the probe too fast
> > and measure the voltage electrostaticly.
> >
> > Last week there were at least a dozen guys selling imitation
> > Reneshaws for 69$/copy.  But I'll be darned if I can find one on
> > fleabay today.

Finally found one and bought it. They sure are BIG though, 2.1" in
diameter and 4+" long. And Z motion is certainly limited with that
installed!  Bought a t.l.o. setter and a big bag of teeny homing
switches. This thing has blocks of solid cambric for crash stops, looks
like a 2.5mm thick switch glued in there ought to make a serviceable
homing switch. Now we sit and wait, bored out of my skull till stuff
gets here. Sigh.