Hi, and thanks for your suggestions.

The driver does support multiple ethernet cards (up to 4) so you could use
a 7i92 (for example)  for each motor. Though even then 150m would be
optimistic, I suspect.

 why? isn't it a standard ethernet? I can plug pc eth to a good gigabit switch
and run 4 lines to the winches, or put 2 other switches around and amplify the
signal.

I also have in mind to use just one 7i92 near the pc, and build a ttl -> fiber
optic converter using SN75451 (two channel Logic + LED drivers) to drive some
HFBR1414 plugs, which claim to transmit up to 1500 mt (minimum 500mt)

I have a tech question about 7i92. I have only run Lcnc using software step
gen, but I understand that a 7i92 does step generation on its own, freeing the
pc from doing the hard work. But what messages are sent from the pc? are they
just POS/SPEED? and, since I have my untrivial kinematics, are they always done
by the pc, right?

when I run a latency test I have good results, something like Servo t. 2-3000
and Base t. 5-7000.   Is the 7i92 driver linked to the Servo, or Base Thread?
what Latency time is it needed? and for 4*7i92?

I'm sorry for all these questions, but unfortunately I don't have a lot o f
time to experiment, so I need to clarify my mind, before buying a lot of
things..

Thanks, Davide.