I actually worked at a place where we needed to set up tempory networks at
military bases.  Part of out kit was a 2 km spool of fiber cable.
Yes over a mile.  It as in a shipping case with a roller and a hand crank.
  It was easy enough to handle that even untrained random
"Army guys" could deal with it ad the Ethernet over tres under highways
into a window that was a half mile away. It is completely "plug and play"
and not much harder to use than cat-5 cable.

SOme peole use WiFi with two hi-gain antennt facing each other.   For that
you need a clear line of sigh and MUCH fiddling.  Fiber
has gigabye speed and is way-easy.

On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 10:35 AM Davide <77...@tiscali.it> wrote:

> Hi, and thanks for your suggestions.
>

> The driver does support multiple ethernet cards (up to 4) so you could use
> a 7i92 (for example)  for each motor. Though even then 150m would be
> optimistic, I suspect.
>
>  why? isn't it a standard ethernet? I can plug pc eth to a good gigabit
> switch and run 4 lines to the winches, or put 2 other switches around and
> amplify the signal.
>

> I also have in mind to use just one 7i92 near the pc, and build a ttl ->
> fiber optic converter using SN75451 (two channel Logic + LED drivers) to
> drive some HFBR1414 plugs, which claim to transmit up to 1500 mt (minimum
> 500mt)
>

> I have a tech question about 7i92. I have only run Lcnc using software
> step gen, but I understand that a 7i92 does step generation on its own,
> freeing the pc from doing the hard work. But what messages are sent from
> the pc? are they just POS/SPEED? and, since I have my untrivial kinematics,
> are they always done by the pc, right?
>
> when I run a latency test I have good results, something like Servo t.
> 2-3000 and Base t. 5-7000.   Is the 7i92 driver linked to the Servo, or
> Base Thread? what Latency time is it needed? and for 4*7i92?
>

> I'm sorry for all these questions, but unfortunately I don't have a lot o
> f time to experiment, so I need to clarify my mind, before buying a lot of
> things..
>

> Thanks, Davide.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California