On Wednesday 31 July 2019 09:39:22 andy pugh wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 at 15:29, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> wrote:
>
> Carbide was mentioned, I might even see how long this now dull tool
> would
>
> > work. Running backwards so the spiral is carrying fresh water down
> > to the fire on the bottom face?  Lots of things to try. :)
>
> Do you really mean "Woodruff" here?

Yes, these are not square keys. The rear face is a curve of about a 7/8"
diameter washer, so the slots I'll be digging are only perhaps 3/4"
long. One is for the 4 sheve stepped size pulley on the right end,
driven by an identical pulley on the end of the motor countershaft
faceing the other way, making about a 6/1 change in spindle speeds by
loosening a toggle and moving the belt from groove to groove. And the
2nd one is to lock the twin belt pulley that drives the spindle although
I may leave it out now that it has a taperlocked hub.  They don't slip.
Or at least I've never had one slip in 50 some years with up to 15 hp
motors driving them.  And, because of working space once the taperlock
insert is on the shaft, its a cast iron bitch to get in and out. So
leaving it out and depending on the well tightened hub to hold it is not
going to keep me up nights worrying about it. So the only key I'll cut
is the one for the 4 step pulley.

I found a plastic pan but its a hair short, requiring the shaft to lay at
an angle, so I painted the shaft with a narrow strip of goop, and its
getting about an hours cure time gluing it to the bottom of the pan. In
the meantime I've gently clamped the ends of the pan, with some wood
blocks to discourage shaft movement, the dialed it so center drift is
under a thou for a 6 inch lengthwise move.

That ought to be close enough axial alignment for the girls I go with.
Then  next is hit the shop building up the hill and retrieve my EDM psu
and stick it to whatever is handy and allows short leads.  Then sit down
and write some code.  With luck. I might be making noise yet today.

 - Louis D. Brandeis