On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 7:10 PM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 22 August 2019 16:35:42 Ralph Stirling wrote:
>
> > Welcome back, Gene!  Hope you stick around for a good long time.
> >
> > -- Ralph
>
> Thanks Ralph. I appreciate the kind thoughts.
> >
> > On Aug 22, 2019 12:03 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday 22 August 2019 11:06:20 Thomas J Powderly wrote:
> > > woot!

> > > instead of
> > >
> > > you learn something new every day...
> > >
> > > it's
> > >
> > > you learn something's old every day
> > >
> > > tomp
> > >
> > > will Indian Pale Ale help me remember this?
> >
> > No.  If its anything like the local stuff by that name, it probably
> > will not help you forget it either.
> >
> > Hi guys. I'm back, sorta. Been shipped to every heart shop in the
> > north half of the state since about 2 weeks ago when I had a heart
> > attack. Several stents, and a workup to replace the very leaky aortic
> > valve scheduled for about 2 weeks on down the log, and I might be able
> > to claim I'm 75% of the man I once was.  Maybe.
> >
> > 2 of my sons drove in from Nebraska when they got the word that I was
> > in the shop for a tuneup, and they just got done putting my sheldon
> > back together. Unforch it won't home either axis, always reporting a
> > joint 0 following error.
> >
> > So I had apt update around 55 packages.
> >
> > No change when it was done.
> > And Andy joint update script fires off on every LCNC start.
> >
> > I get in here to the main box, and my ssh -Y password is toast. Ahh,
> > I'm not gene, I'm pi on that box.  So I'm in and have edited the .ini
> > to be version 1.1
> >
> > But I still can't home it. Either axis is a joint 0 error. with no
> > motion.
> >
> > Next???
>
> Since this is a raspi 3b, and our buildbot no  longer attempts to build
> for raspi's, (armhf) I am fairly certain that this linuxcnc is a house
> built install by building from github src.  And I'd assume the only way
> to get the fix is to build from github again.
>
> So since its still running master and not 2.8, what is the git command to
> patch my existing download tree so that a simple remake is all I have to
> do.  But I am not a git guru, so what is the command-line to do this
> bugfix?.

Your first "go-to" git command is "git help".   Then from that, you see
that what you need is "git pull".    But you want to learn more about "git
pull" so you'd try "git help pull".     This prints a page of instruction
that says that the pull command will get changed from a named repository
and integrate those with any changes you might have made to you local git
repository.
So it looks like it is "git pull <repository-name>"

But if you never make changes to your local git repository then you may as
well just grab everything again using "git clone" The pull command is
better when you don't want to kill you local changes.

The best way to learn about Git is to make a habit of using it locally on
you own computer for storing you own work.    It isusfull enough that it is
pretty much become universal.  If you have text files that you edit, git
can keep versions for you

>  I intend to do this with my own local buildbot. Or maybe even
> just crontab it. Upgrade 2x a week maybe.
>
> And I want to add a pi-4, and eventually make it work, a 2 Gig pi-4 is
> already on site.
>

> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law
> > respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis

> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
>  - Louis D. Brandeis

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California