On Tue, Oct 29, 2019, 21:48 R C <cjv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I thought I'd try linuxcnc, and see howthat works.
>
> (I have a paxton/patterson mill and lathe that I haven't used in forever).
>

> I downloaded the linuxcnc iso and burned a disc, however it seems it
> wants another CD , or from what I read have Ubuntu or so installed?
>
> I saw Ubuntu 10.04 mentioned, but isn't that somewhat old?
>
> Do I install that first and then the linuxcnc CD?
>

> Also, is there a version that can be installed/compiled on RHEL/Centos?,
> has someone tried that?
>

> thanks,
>

> Ron

I downloaded the Debian Stretch iso a few weeks ago and threw it on a
machine a couple days ago.  I went on fine except for the installer not
wanting to work with my USB network dongle (works fine with the live
version).  I got around that by using the text installer which lets you
bypass the network setup easily.  Try either the Stretch or Wheezy setups.

Dave