ok,  that is probably why it has aproblem contacting that repo

On 10/29/19 10:51 PM, Dave Matthews wrote:

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019, 00:41 R C <cjv...@gmail.com <mailto:cjv...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 10/29/19 10:39 PM, Dave Matthews wrote:

    On Wed, Oct 30, 2019, 00:24 R C <cjv...@gmail.com
    <mailto:cjv...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        On 10/29/19 10:04 PM, Dave Matthews wrote:

        On Wed, Oct 30, 2019, 00:01 R C <cjv...@gmail.com
        <mailto:cjv...@gmail.com>> wrote:

            On 10/29/19 7:56 PM, Dave Matthews wrote:
            On Tue, Oct 29, 2019, 21:48 R C<cjv...@gmail.com>
<mailto:cjv...@gmail.com>  wrote:

            Hello all,

            I thought I'd try linuxcnc, and see howthat works.

            (I have a paxton/patterson mill and lathe that I haven't used in
forever).

            I downloaded the linuxcnc iso and burned a disc, however it seems it
            wants another CD , or from what I read have Ubuntu or so installed?

            I saw Ubuntu 10.04 mentioned, but isn't that somewhat old?

            Do I install that first and then the linuxcnc CD?

            Also, is there a version that can be installed/compiled on
RHEL/Centos?,
            has someone tried that?

            thanks,

            Ron

            I downloaded the Debian Stretch iso a few weeks ago and threw it on
            machine a couple days ago.  I went on fine except for the installer
not
            wanting to work with my USB network dongle (works fine with the live
            version).  I got around that by using the text installer which lets
you
            bypass the network setup easily.  Try either the Stretch or Wheezy
setups.

            Dave

            Hello Dave,

            I downloaded "LinuxCNC 2.7.14 Debian 7 Wheezy
            <http://www.linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.7.14-wheezy.iso>"
            from this page "http://linuxcnc.org/downloads/";
            <http://linuxcnc.org/downloads/> but when I run it, it
            asks for another disk.  I was wondering if that is a
            regular Debian iso, or something different.

            I am not too familiar with Debian distros,  I pretty
            much exclusively work with RHEL and Centos etc.

            If there is another iso I need,  where do I get it?  If
            not then what is it asking for?

            thanks,

            Ron

        It should be a regular iso that installs the OS and a set of
        apps including LinuxCNC.  If you just boot it you should get
        a live cd version of Debian and the apps.  No idea why it is
        asking for a cd.

        Dave

        Hmm   when I use the first option,  it boots from the CD,
        live CD style,  but it doesn't show me an option to install it.

        Ron

    The install is a boot option . I haven't found it in the live
    version.  I was used to Ubuntu and expected to find it in the
    live version too.

    Dave

    I'd rather have it work on Centos, or RHEL,  but oh well.   when I
    am installing it with the graphical option it complains about not
    being able to find security.debian.org
    <http://security.debian.org> (but I can ping it from another
    machine).  It says I can skip it,  it did that before.

    I'll just see and try again.

It won't find any of the wheezy repos without doing some unnatural acts.  Wheezy went end of life a while ago.  Stretch is the current release.  It is Debian 9.

Dave