Hi Gene,

On 11/1/19 11:27 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 01 November 2019 12:50:45 R C wrote:

Hello Gene,

yes when in doubt, with a distro I don't know, I do disable drives, or
unplug them.

(learned that lesson with installing Ubuntu one time years ago, and it
reclaimed all space from all drives.).  So I did in this case, but
usually (I work witRHEL and Centos a lot) I don't it's too much work,
I have several machines.

So I wasn't the only victim of that installer. :(

right, my problem was that Debia (at least the linucnc one) forgot where it was installing stuff and only wanted to use the last found /dev/sd* in the grub/initrd image. I promised someone on the forum/list that I'd try to see if that is a Debian issue, or if the bug was introduced later in the distro.

Host files wouldn't work for me,  I have a bunch of IoT devices (wifi
enabled light switches, electrical outlets (dozen and a half) and
cameras (10) and a dozen motion detectors, and they all boot trying to
getan IP address using bootp/dhcp. Also, I have different physical
networks (to spread out traffic from access points), using a Cisco
router and 3 Cisco switches.

Keeping track of everything would be too much work
On a bigger network, yes indeed.

Yeah and I have a bunch of different gadgets, that don't even have a filesystem, and boot using dhcp/bootp (like wemo and D-Link stuff)

However DHCP is not a fancier thing instead of a hosts file, that
would be DNS. DHCP is used for configuringnetwork devices (like NICS
and IB cards etc, manually configuring network device is done with
network scripts (they are usually in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts).

It is better to avoid using hosts files for "regular" networks,
updating them is a pain. There is still a good use for hosts files
though, in HPC they are used to "list" the compute nodes, io nodes etc
etc. Keeping track of those is usually not a problem, because the
hosts file is the same for all nodes, and because they boot diskless
there is actually only one version of the file around that gets used
on the diskless/vnfs image

I have a few domain names also,  one I have hosyed somewhere for some
external stuff,  and I have two here that I just use for kicks and
giggles. I use DDNS though, I am cheap and don't want to pay for a
static IP, and I don't really need it.
I find I have a static ip as long as I don't putz with the routers MAC.
So one of them is cloned from the other. :)

Just wondering?  Why would you clone that MAC?  I assume you use the same IP on both those NICs?  Else ARP would be unhappy.

Did you do that between your modem and router or so?

but...   whatever works,  right?

Ron