Thanks for your reply Andy, and yes, PWM would be odd choice for the BP.  I chose PWM for this "lab" project, because in addition to the BP mill, I have a LCNC router with an analog controlled VFD which is next in line for a conversion.   Getting an analog controlled PWM to work properly seemed the most challenging, and it forces me to dig a little deeper into hal.  I feel much of what I learn here is applicable to the Bridgeport, even though I won't be using PWM there.

The Bridgeport does have the split sheave/air motor "vari-speed" setup.  I've removed the pot used by the BOSS control, and fabricated an encoder wheel with I/R sensor that sits inside a 3D printed housing which bolts to existing tapped holes in the top of the spindle housing.  As much as I would like to have rigid tapping, I feel the mechanics of that old BP aren't up to the task, which is why I have just a single encoder and no index.   I've seen a couple of posts from others who have used various combinations of spindle-at-speed plus  others to control the air motor which I hope to leverage.

Brent