On 01/15/2020 09:10 PM, Brent Loschen wrote:

In addition to the split pulleys, my "mechanical" concerns are more along the lines of the heavy duty electrical contactors clunking every time the fixed speed, 3 phase AC spindle motor is called to switch back and forth; increased heat in the motor windings due to those reversals; and the air powered, mechanical spindle brake snapping on and off hundreds of times. Yes it was very tempting, and yes, I'm sure some of my concerns could be mitigated, however I feel that this old mill (cira 1985) just isn't the right tool for the job.

OH! I'm not sure you can do rigid tapping by plug-reversing the motor on mains power. At our shop, where the mills run off 480 V mains, the plug reversing is so fast you can't even hear it. I doubt any Z axis could keep up. But, don't worry about the motor, it can handle this "abuse". I do rigid tapping using a VFD and analog spindle speed control. Even with that, I generally reverse the spindle in about 3/4 second, from 1000 RPM forward to 1000 RPM reverse. That is slow enough for the Z axis to follow.

Jon