On Saturday 18 January 2020 15:07:35 John Dammeyer wrote:

> [...]
> returned to the motors and the system.
>
> The problem I ran into was the FAULT or ERROR output from the various
> motor drivers.  A missing power supply voltage caused a fault on the
> STMBL AC Servo drive.  Something wrong on the DC HP_UHU servo drives
> causes a FAULT.  In all cases that shuts OFF High Voltage  power and
> then ON again.  To reset the STMBL I have to bring the ENABLE FALSE
> and TRUE.  That's Pin 1 and done with the F2 button on the user
> display.
>
> The HP_UHU drives were more problematic.  They don't have an enable.
> To clear a fault you either cycle 16V low voltage power or bring the
> processor reset pin low.  I did that with the NOT ENABLE signal and a
> couple of opto coupler open collector transistors.  Now when not
> enabled the DC Servo drives are held in reset.   And it's true, HV DC
> and a shorted transitor driver pair could keep the motor running open
> loop so still not the safest.
>
> I first tried enabling the high voltage with the system enable.  This
> created a race condition for both drives.  The STMBL was enabled but
> High Voltage wasn't there yet so it created a fault which shut off the
> HV.  Circular problem.
>
> The HP_UHU drive, when reset is released, blips the FAULT which shut
> off high voltage again resulting in ENABLE going false which again
> held the drive in RESET.
>
> SO the issue is that just after a reset or HV DC power being restored
> both the STMBL and the HP_UHU blip their fault line.  That shuts off
> the BOB which removes the HV.  Then when the HOV is re-applied it
> starts all over again.  Vicious circle.  Hence the 4 second delay
> before power is restored but the enable is held off keeping all the
> servo drives either reset or not enabled.
>
> Once the ENABLE is set true, the FAULT from the drives is blocked for
> a few seconds to allow the random start up faults to fix themselves.
> All done with a PIC12F609 8 pin processor.
>
> For real safety I need to add a latching relay circuit that requires a
> manual energize button to latch it on.   So anything that shuts off
> the HV opens this relay.  And a button must be used to relatch it.
> The original mill hardware has that on the Spindle and Coolant
> switches.  An ESTOP requires both switches set back to OFF before the
> released ESTOP restores power.
>
> So for your system, look at a charge pump as a method of resetting
> hardware.   Then a relay wired in such a way that you have to manually
> close the latching circuit to lock that relay closed.  An ESTOP or
> missing charge pump or even Limit switch can remove power.   All your
> switch has to do is momentarily close this relay and a second pair of
> contacts will hold it closed.  Since the primary contacts on this CAN
> be part of the ESTOP NC circuit a machine FAULT like a limit switch or
> motor driver automatically causes a removal of voltages.  And, like
> untwisting the ESTOP switch, you need to press a physical ON button to

For you it does, but without going to a separate parport, and using it to
control power to the interface box and resetting the 5i25 jumpers for
remote power from the boxes own supply, its a chicken v egg problem.

IOW I can't use a signal that has to pass thru the interface, to control
the power to the interface, And even then with logic power coming in
from the 5i25, will that leakage prevent the full drainage to zero that
is needed to fully recover the substrate scr someplace in the 7i76D.
Thats not what happened this time as the 12 volts remained good, whereas
on the 6040, the 12 volts was being crowbared by this not on the
schematic scr, but this time it was not.

Maybe Peter has conjured up a theory by now, but I've not.

 - Louis D. Brandeis