On Saturday 18 January 2020 16:09:38 Peter C. Wallace wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jan 2020, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 15:58:23 -0500
> > From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> > To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> > Subject: Re: [Emc-users] I'm back to a sseriel failure that can only
> > be fixed with a full powerdown of the whole system.
> >
> > On Saturday 18 January 2020 15:07:35 John Dammeyer wrote:
> >> Hi Gene,
> >>
> >> I've run into similar problems with my system as I try and make it
> >> intrinsically safe.  The issues I've run into involve the various
> >> levels of intelligence in the hardware.  I don't know if your 7i76
> >> can solve your problem since I'm not familiar with  it.
> >>
> >> As I've said before I'm using the PMDX-126 Break Out Board which
> >> was really more designed around MACH3 than LinuxCNC.  Obvious
> >> because the two ribbon cable connections and 4 mounting holes are
> >> designed to hold the Smooth Stepper. (USB or Ethernet).  Still
> >> haven't connected second port on the MESA 7i92. But that's a
> >> different story.
> >>
> >> One of the 'features' of this BoB is the Charge Pump input.  MACH3
> >> can generate this on any parallel port pin with a checkbox and can
> >> even keep it running during the ESTOP IN (Pin 10 normally) by
> >> checking a box in the main config screen.
> >>
> >> Under Linux CNC this is generated with stepper driver #4
> >> net machine-is-enabled => hm2_7i92.0.stepgen.04.enable
> >>
> >> The BoB, when configured to use a charge pump shuts off all outputs
> >> when the charge pump vanishes.  This includes the machine enable
> >> signal (Pin 1).  Under Linux this is: setp
> >> hm2_7i92.0.gpio.000.is_output true
> >> net machine-is-enabled => hm2_7i92.0.gpio.000.out
> >>
> >> Since the BoB has a couple of relays, one of them (SPDT) normally
> >> allocated to motor direction or coolant, uses the NO contacts to be
> >> in series with the ESTOP switch on the machine and feeds into the
> >> ESTOP input (Pin10) on th BoB.   If the Charge Pump vanishes, the
> >> BoB itself takes care of shutting off the outputs which is like
> >> mechanically hitting the ESTOP.
> >>
> >> Same with the limit switches.  A FAULT (or NC ESTOP opening) input
> >> into the BoB also causes all outputs to shut off.  A small micro
> >> removes that FAULT 4 seconds later but the system ENABLE
> >> (controlled with the F2 power button) remains off after this.
> >> AC/DC power is returned to the motors and the system.
> >>
> >> The problem I ran into was the FAULT or ERROR output from the
> >> various motor drivers.  A missing power supply voltage caused a
> >> fault on the STMBL AC Servo drive.  Something wrong on the DC
> >> HP_UHU servo drives causes a FAULT.  In all cases that shuts OFF
> >> High Voltage  power and then ON again.  To reset the STMBL I have
> >> to bring the ENABLE FALSE and TRUE.  That's Pin 1 and done with the
> >> F2 button on the user display.
> >>
> >> The HP_UHU drives were more problematic.  They don't have an
> >> enable. To clear a fault you either cycle 16V low voltage power or
> >> bring the processor reset pin low.  I did that with the NOT ENABLE
> [...]
I am moderately convinced its related to the 12v field power, which I am
not capable of shutting it down independently atm.

Which power src actually runs the serial link?

On the 6040 interface, when it died, once I climbed the ladder I could
see two leds blinking at about 1 10ms blink a second, one on the supply
and  the field pwr led on the 7i76its running since with a free wheeling
diode across a relay coil that I didn't put in originally. That is the
only change. This short caused by swarf wedging itself across the bottom
of the y home switch didn't put a crowbar on the 12 volt line after the
swarf was removed. Rebooting the computer didn't fix it, but a full
powerdown did. I could pull the supply to field power wire but there are
cautions about that in the doc, presumably as that would damage things
with the nanosecond current rise times as its reconnected. So I've not
gone down that path.

But both missbehaviors involved the 12 volt, 1.15 amp supply.

 - Louis D. Brandeis