On 01/23/2020 06:52 PM, R C wrote:
I always wondered why FPGAs are(still?)  that popular...

Because you can develop quite a bit of custom logic on a $10 chip. One of my motion controller boards packs 4 quadrature counters capable of up to 5 million counts/second and 4 PWM generators with a 40 MHz clock (giving 25 ns pulse width resolution) plus 16 digital inputs and 8 digital outputs
on one $10 chip.

I could buy a bunch of chips that do all these separate functions and put them on a board, but that
would end up costing a LOT more than $10.

And, unless you are making millions of devices, a custom chip with those features would cost
somewhere between $250K and 1 million $ to make the masks.

Even the automakers are using FPGAs in cars. I think it is the reconfigurability and time to develop
with FPGAs is a big plus.

Jon