I always wondered why FPGAs are(still?)  that popular...

Way back when, in some research work I did, in my field they were mostly used for building stuff that didn't exist, as a test bed.

For fun we once implemented a univac on it, because we could.

Ron

On 1/23/20 12:29 PM, Peter C. Wallace wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jan 2020, Chris Albertson wrote:

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 10:17:44 -0800
From: Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com>
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Real-time OS for machine controllers

The trouble with the Mesa FPGA design is that it depends on a computer with good real-time performance.   It can generate steps but I don't thing you
can run a position or velocity PID control loop on the FPGA.

LinuxCNCs design paradigm requires realtime, this is a design decision that is supported by our Hostmot2 real time firmware. We have other firmware that implements motion in the FPGA but this is not suited to LinuxCNCs model.

You might argue that its an old fashioned model but many high performance CNC systems and Robotics controllers use LinuxCNCs model of a capable real time host (real OS with file I/O loadable modules, unlimited memory, massive floating point performance etc etc) Some of these use Linux and others use real time windows varients often with Ethercat Peripherals. This makes for a powerful extensible realtime toolkit (like LinuxCNCs HAL) and complex realtime responsive coordinated motion. Basically for this type of system you still need a very capable real time controller hub even if the motor controllers implement torque, velocity, or position loops

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics