Yes it could work that way.  There are Arduino based g-code interpreters.
I have one on my 3D printer.  A 3D printer is a four-axis stepper motor
based machine.  So it is certainly possible to run something like LinuxCNC
on a very low-end chip.  The Arduino uses a 16 Mhz 8-bit chip.

But that is not what I am suggesting.

I'm suggesting the microcontroller gets a set of points in 3D space and the
time to hit each point.   then the controller only has to move the motors
in a synchronized way so as to hit the points, each one at the specified
time.     Because the points are time-tagged that can be sent in batches in
non-real time.

The machine that sends the points can read the g-code files or maybe some
other kind of file or maybe it is reading a hand help pendent.  But in
either case, the input is converted to a set of points to be hit at a
spec'd speed.  Because there are time tags on the data the machine that
reads g-code need not be real-time.  Or maybe we called it "very soft"
real-time where one-second latency is acceptable.   This process could run
on a PC or a Mac or maybe even a phone.

The goal is to push ALL, every bit of the hard real-time work onto a small
chip that runs a "real" RTOS.

I did not invent this.  Someone figured it out years ago that if the
commands are time-tagged and queued that the sender is no longer real-time
couped to the device that dequeues and executes the commands.   LinuxCNC
does not do this so we have RT requirements backed up all the way to nearly
every part of the system.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California