Chris,

I am just trying to figure out your idea? Who parses the gcode file? The $5
chip?
If you are running everything but the user interface on the $5 chip, it
sounds like headless lcnc to me.

If you are running 6 axis on the $5 chip then you have all the wiring
complexities that we have now. The $5 chip needs to connect to a breakout
board something
like that to protect the chip and it (the $5 chip) needs to be located
someplace where it is convenient to wire all the axises from. So other than
the difference in cost what does this $5 chip buy you?

Alan