I have repaired lots of motherboards in my working time, mostly replacing capacitors in the vicinity of the main processor. There they are used to make the 3 volts for the CPU from 5 or 12 volts. The mobos showed all kinds of funny behaviour. For instance, one of my own PCs started counting up in Excel as soon as a number was entered in a field. Obviously, the CPU somehow counted the ripple of the 3 volts buck converter.

Considering the high current draw of GHz processors, there are some 20 or more amperes flowing through the little leads at, say, 50 kHz. No wonder the capacitors get warm, the electrolyte expands and eventually blows the lids. Therefore, the caps are the first thing I look at when I get a dead mobo. It took some time until industry reacted to that and made temperature proof capacitors (105° ore more).

Formerly, we also repaired PC power supplies having the same problem, but at today's prices that doesn't pay any more.

Peter