Under MACH3 now that I finally have the ModIO MPG working I can report that
it's not as smooth as my USB based pendant.  But then 56k baud isn't the same
at 6Mbps that USB uses.

 I would imagine if I connected the quadrature MPG knob directly to a second
parallel port I'd also see better response in MACH3.

But that requires adding a low profile PP board.  The one I have I works under
WIN-7 but not WIN-XP (it's just too old and no drivers exist) and IIRC, I had
problems discovering it under LinuxCNC too.  Hence the purchase of the the MESA
7i92H.

Anyway, first step is just to get the MODBus stuff working and the ModIO is as
good a product as any.  Long term I want a CAN bus on my mill for tool changing
etc.  But that's because I have been using CAN bus for almost 30 years and I
believe still have the record for the largest one shown on my home page (over
1500 nodes).
http://www.autoartisans.com/

John