On Sunday 16 February 2020 18:27:24 Sam Sokolik wrote:

> software stepping...
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKjNOVHhHio
>
> Ethernet
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SEB7TuCUR0
>
> I don't have an spi solution to try....

Works great Sam. I started out with a pi3 driving a 7i90HD, wasted a
bunch of time trying to connect it, discovered the 7i42TA, bought 3 and
stacked them on top of the 7i90HD, with the pi3 upside so the terms and
pi was upside down in order to do away with the cable twist and
shortened the cable to about an inch. But by the time I loaded up axis
with hand dials and other gingerbread, much of which is running in a 200
HZ thread because I can't turn a 100ppr hand dial any faster. The pi3
was about tapped out but dead stable. Come the rpi4, its now running at
only 800mhz and might as well be sitting in a beach chair with a cuppa
and running an 11x54 Sheldon very well.  I've since built a new kernel
with 16 u-s of latency but don't have it collected on my web site yet.

And since you dropped armhf support, I've been building master on the
rpi4 about monthly so I'm not too far behind master.

And my offer to send you a 2G rpi4 to replace that odroid piece of
crasher in the buildbot is still good. It will have a 5x5 psu, heat
sinks, It will need a small fan, I'm useing a teeny 12volt from an old
video card, running it from the 5 volt supply and keeps it at 45C, the
swapfile turned off, an ssd big enough to build everything includeing a
5G swap partition and the rest of it as workspace. Very little traffic
on the 64Gig u-sd while its building all this on the ssd attached by a
starttech sata to usb3 cable. It will build that new kernel in under an
hour, and LinuxCNC debs of master ready to install in 35 or 40 minutes.
With an uptime from power bump to power bump.  Whats not to like?  If
your power is really bumpy, I might throw in a 650WA ups from
Tiger-Direct who is selling refurbed small CyberPower ones for less than
$40, free shipping when I bought one for this one. Debatable as to my
need as I've got a D-525-MW in a building in the back yard running TLM,
my 7x12, still running wheezy, no ups, and showing:

gene@lathe:~$ uptime
 22:36:03 up 180 days, 1:33, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.03, 0.05

What say you?  It would take me a bit to collect all that, but I'd try to
make it as plug-and-play for the buildbot as I can.

Enjoy your videos, do more of them. :)
> sam

 - Louis D. Brandeis