well..  I know a lot of us have strong feelings for linuxcnc.  For me it is
seeing what it can actually do..

As (I think) Les had said.  you can run the smallest desktop machine all
the way up to a machining center with pallets and tool changer.

This is what really sold me.   We have the K&T with analog servos, 60 tool
chain and changer, pallets and all sorts of do-dads.
I bought 2 mesa cards + analog interface cards.  This gave me 90+ i/o and
10 analog/encoder counters.

Everything is controlled within linuxcnc - between the integrated ladder
and hal.  tool changes, spindle gear changes, pallet changes..  All done
within linuxcnc and all realtime..  No external plc's or anything.

sam