When I was 15, (> 45 years ago) I had double pneumonia and I was hospitalized for 10 days.  It seemed like weeks. Two large penicillin injections in my rump each day.   Breathing treatments every hour at the beginning and then less frequently as I improved.  You wouldn't believe the amount of crap I managed to cough up.  The breathing solution was some type of saline solution.  You could do almost the same thing by inhaling saline mist.  Think spray bottle, etc.  It didn't taste good but it loosened the phlegm.
I was never put on a ventilator.
At the beginning I waited for each breathing treatment.   Breathing was hard and painful.  And I was in great shape at the time.   I was an avid bike rider and did more than 100 miles per day sometimes.    So I've been there, and I'm not looking forward to a repeat.  Once is enough.

Keeping your lungs inflated is really important.
A CPAPs primary purpose is to keep your airways inflated.    Its my understanding that a Ventilator does the same thing, except that it periodically drops the pressure so you can exhale easier (if you can exhale) and it also injects some oxygen as well.    Of course most people on Ventilators are also intubated.  Not so with a CPAP.

If you have an Oxy-fuel welding setup, you have an oxygen tank.   Medical oxygen flowmeters are cheap, but a tig/mig welding flow meter could work as well.  Not a lot of flow is needed unless you are in really bad shape, and likely not needed all of the time.  (Typical flows are on the web)

Oximeters are also cheap.  A lot of people already have them.

Pray you don't need a real ventilator.

What you are coughing up will tell you a lot:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6303513/What-does-colour-phlegm-mean-cold-pneumonia-lung-cancer.html

Dave