On 3/26/20 10:33 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 8:19 AM R C <cjv...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello group/list,

So I am at home most of the time, working from home, like most of us
probably, but since I can't really do my job from home

I have been directed to look into things like "Additive Manufacturing",
g-codes etc etc...

I was just thinking (ok ok ..  I am bored...)  But if terminology is
buffed up and 3D printing is called "Additive Manufacturing" just

to make it sound better,  maybe we should start calling CNC machining
"Subtractive Manufacturing", or has that already happened?

Yes, that has already happend, years ago.     What I would do to look into
3D printing is buy one of the less then $200 printers and make parts.  A
great project is maybe a robot or a small CNC machine tool made from
plastic parts.      You learn best when you have a project that pushes your
skills just a little.

You can also combine additive and subtrctive methods.  for example print, a
part then treat it as casting and clean it up on a mill or lathe.   Either
you need an expensive printer that can print metal or you print a mold in
plastic then sand cast it, then machine it.   There is quite a lot to
exlore at the ntersection of adding and subtracting.    Another is printing
fixtures for machining.  Plastic works well for holding and clamping
odd-shape metal parts

actually I have been thinking about buying a 3D pinter.  However I wanted to finish (and start working with) a sherline mill and lathe that were given

to me years ago (they came in a Paxton-Patterson enclosure).

I have done some robotics, did teach an extra curricular class on it, but that was more about sensors measuring things etc.

I like playing with that stuff, and I am tying to figure out how to do some things, some of you have been very helpful  in particular one guy (his name is Phill from here)

I have some colleagues doing that, but before embarking on 3D printing, I just want a "pile" of projects of my workbench

Ron