actually,  I have been told there are combinations of parts produced  those ways too.

It definitely is interesting.

On 3/28/20 9:21 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
I don't think so. Form Labs, one of the big makers of resin printers call
their products "3D Printers".      The term 3D Print means more than just
FDM printing.

This is now widely used to make "real" parts  The fuel injectors in the
SpaceX rockets are printed.   "Printed" is the most common term and is used
for every process.

Even the low-cost, under $200 FDM printer can make usable parts.   I've
mead motor mounts for my CNC mill using PLA plastic on a $170 printer.  I
thought that later I'd remake then in metal but the plastic rigid enough
that I can't measure any deflection under load.      That said the plastic
does have a press-fit bronze bushing and a press fit thrust bearing.

One of the neat things is that we can use the same CAD files for both CNC
and 3D Printing.   So the part can be designed once and then made on
plastic to check fit and then if it work, cut metal.   There is a
convergence so it makes sense to  call one additive and the other
subtractive so we can think of it as just two ways to get the same end.