HI Gene,
Being always caught outside the box but still having to think I made a large t-nut that goes in the cross-slide, then a block of steel large enough to accommodate a couple of 1/2" gr 8 cap screws and a hole centered between the bolts but obviously at 90 degrees with the proper taper for a 5C. The collet just hangs out the rear of the block and I can clamp up boring bars of varying size using a bronze nut threaded for the rear thread of the collet, Naturally I ended up making a wrench to  fit the nut. Nothing is ever easy. :-)  YMMV

Dave