On 06/01/2020 12:11 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
My cheap Harbor Freight mini mill has a variable speed spindle that is
controlled by hand with a knob on the front of the mill.  This knob turns a
potentiometer.    I think all mini mills work like this.

Has anyone interfaced the potentiometer to LinuxCNC?   I don't have the
schematic for the spindle motor controller but I assume the potentiometer imply
sends a control voltage to control the duty cycle of a PWM generator.  The
motor is a simple DC brushed motor
Most importantly, note that this speed control is NOT isolated from mains voltage. So, any interface with it needs (presumably) optical isolation. Several outfits (PMDX, CNC4PC, I think) make interfaces to these speed controls.

Jon