On Monday 01 June 2020 08:25:12 Dan Henderson wrote:

> Chris, would think you would be able to connect the 0-10v output from
> a BOB directly to the controller middle leg output of the
> potentiometer.  You wouldn’t need the hot leg, but would likely need
> to ground the bob to the controller.

And that will break the mirror and let out all the smoke this stuff runs
on and then none of it works.  Certainly blowing the bob, possibly the
computers port and various bits and pieces in the computer because the
hot side of the line will then be connected to the computers ground.

Gizmo's like the spinx1 and pmdx-106 exist because 99.999% of those motor
speed controllers have the adjustment pot tied to the hot side of the
power line. Trying to connect a ground referenced control signal WILL
let the smoke out of a lot of parts in them and in the computer.

Nearly all of these things that do this computer control are run by a pwm
modulated signal, which serves as a charge pump to develop the nominally
10 volt control signal, and then uses the average value of the PWM
signal as the control signal, but its all isolated from that portion of
the circuitry actually connected to the hot side of the power line.

I have tried several variations of this basic idea on a card, with
various results, most with control linearity problems that have been
markedly improved with an isolation resistor in the 47k range between
the cards 0 to 10 volt output, and the tie point the arm of the OEM pot
is connected to, which if the circuit is analyzed, turns out to be the
sum point of the feedback loop controlling the speed.  And its a current
sum, not voltage. Or was in those I've traced.

That pmdx-106 is now a discoed product, works great when connected to the
controller in the little hf mill.  The spinx1 is very good also.

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 12:13 AM Chris Albertson
> <albertson.ch...@gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > My cheap Harbor Freight mini mill has a variable speed spindle that
> > is controlled by hand with a knob on the front of the mill.  This
> > knob turns a potentiometer.    I think all mini mills work like
> > this.
> >
> > Has anyone interfaced the potentiometer to LinuxCNC?   I don't have
> > the schematic for the spindle motor controller but I assume the
> > potentiometer imply
> > sends a control voltage to control the duty cycle of a PWM
> > generator.  The motor is a simple DC brushed motor
> >
> > It seems I could use the 0 - 10 volt output from a breakout board
> > (with posible voltage conversion) to control the speed of the
> > spindle.
> >
> > Then I place an encoder on the spindle.
> >
> > Has anyone made a simple interface that replaces the potentiometer?
> >
> > I don't want to rplace the spindle moter and use a VFD.  I think
> > this shold be very simple and low-cost.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Chris Albertson
> > Redondo Beach, California