I have one that does both,  for a larger stepper motor.

It can take a bit of effort to find a DC PSU that can actually provide 5.5A the motor can 'pull', it's a lot easier

to get a transformer for one (my driver is 48VAC-80VAC OR 24VDC-110VDC)

Jus a transformer will provide the amps your 'pulling'  and of course without any measures, spikes etc can happen. A switching

power supply has bit of protection there.  I think the driver probably has some simple rectifier in it, I would expect much there.