I just re-discovered Antek.  They make toroidal transformers for CNC and
high-end audio.  They also make unregulated DC power supplies using these
transformers.

If you need 5.6 amps at about 80 volts DC one of these will work
https://www.antekinc.com/ps-5n84-500w-84v-power-supply/   Note that it is
rated for continuous 5.9 amps even with 50 Hz mains.   This DC
supply costs about $120 but for about $60 you could buy an AC
transformer with the same power rating.

(I've just answered my own question)

I used to use this company's products when I was into tube-based audio.  It
is a US based company and they are easy to deal with.   They also make much
larger power supplies.  It took me a while to "change gears" from audio to
machine tools but both need big DC power.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 1:44 PM R C <cjv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have one that does both,  for a larger stepper motor.
>
> It can take a bit of effort to find a DC PSU that can actually provide
> 5.5A the motor can 'pull', it's a lot easier
>
> to get a transformer for one (my driver is 48VAC-80VAC OR 24VDC-110VDC)
>
> Jus a transformer will provide the amps your 'pulling'  and of course
> without any measures, spikes etc can happen. A switching
>
> power supply has bit of protection there.  I think the driver probably
> has some simple rectifier in it, I would expect much there.
>

> On 6/8/20 2:05 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> > Some of the larger size Stepper motor drivers will use AC input power.
> > assume all that is needed is a transformer that is rated for the required
> > current (and a fuse.)
> >
> > Most people are using these Meanwell-style switching power supplies but
> it
> > seems AC power might be better
> >
> > Questions
> > Is there is the best type of transformer?   Is there a good supplier?
> > What about back EMF?   Not knowing how the driver works I wonder what
> > happens when the motor is breaking.  Can there be an overvoltage problem?

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California