I'm making good progress on my 3D printed CNC conversion.  I found a way to
3D print a spindle controller that should work for most small milling
machines and small lathes.   The cost is "almost nothing".   These
machines' spindles are controlled by turning a potentiometer so my new
system simply uses a cheap model airplane servo to turn the shaft of a
potentiometer.  The computer is 100% isolated from any high voltage or
noise.

These small mills will never be able to do things like rigid tapping so all
they need is a simple and approximate way to control the RPM.  This speed
control can be run "open loop" if plus/minus 20% is good enough or used
with a spindle encoder in a closed PID loop as long as the PID is
tunned not to aggressively.

For anyone who does not know about these hobby servos:

   - They are not full rotation motors.  They turn only through about 250
   degrees, This is a good match to the pot as pots also rotate about this
   range.
   - The angle of the servo shaft is controlled by a PWM signal.
   - They are "dirt cheap" starting at about $5 amazon.com/4-Pack-MG996R

<https://www.amazon.com/4-Pack-MG996R-Torque-Digital-Helicopter/dp/B07MFK266B/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=mg+servo&qid=1592502600&sr=8-2>
   - They accept a 5-volt control signal, so they have a built-in computer
   interface.
   - They are fast (enough) and can move from full-low to full-high on 0.6
   seconds
   - They really are actual "servos" and have an encoder, motor driver, and
   gears all inside.

So when LinuxCNC outputs a low-value PWM spindle control, the servo moves
the pot to the low position.  As the PWM signal value gets larger the pot
is moved closer to the high-speed position.

In the picture below is a cartoonish render.  The green frame is one-piece
3D printed,  The red pannel and tan coupler are also 3D printed.  The motor
sells on Amazon, four units for $20 and the pot is about a buck each.  Four
M4 button head screws everything together.

Here is a link to the current version CAD files and a viewer.   I'll be
updating the files after the first prototype is printed.
https://a360.co/2N95AiL
I may make a top cover to protect the pot and keep fingers off the high
voltage.

[image: Red Neck Spindle Control v6.jpg]

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California