On Friday 19 June 2020 12:35:53 Chris Albertson wrote:

> You can't connect directly to a PC.  You physically wire an Arduino
> "Uno" to the controller board, Then install programmer software in the
> Arduino, in effect turning the Arduino into a programmer.     Then the
> Arduino is connected via USB to a PC.    The PC can run any OS.
>
> Then what you load onto the controller board is NOT the new Marlin
> firmware but a "boot loader".   A boot loader is what is inside every
> Arduino and is what makes them an "Arduino and not just a dumb AVR
> chip.    Using an Arduino to install a bootloader is a common thing
> and is not special to the Ender3 printer.
>
> OK, now that you have and Ender with a bootloader you can use any PC,
> Linux, Mac or whatever to load "sketches" into the Arduino board you
> now have in your printer.
>
> Why is there no boot loader in your printer?    I don't know but one
> guess is they wanted to use the memory for something else.  Boot
> loader take up a few hunderd bytes and on these tiny 8-bit chips EVERY
> byte matters.
>
> On Linux CNC to modify a configuration you edit an INI file or a HAL
> file and re-launch the software.  In Marlin you must edit the C++
> code, re-compile and re-flash the chip.   Many times you need to
> disable features to make the code fit.
>
> If you are going to swap firmware, you might first verify you know how
> to re-install the factory frmware, just incase you find you can't fit
> Marlin 2.0 into the controller's memory or if you make a mistake with
> the editor and introduce a bug.     In any case, you need an Arduino
> to use as a programmer.
>
> The Arduino IDE is identical under windows, Mac or Linux. Get that and
> play with it and see if you can do simple exercises like make an LED
> blink with different patterns BEFORE trying to change the firmware.
>
> If you have to buy an Arduino, the cheap eBay clones are just as good.
> Arduino is "Open Source" so the clones are made from published
> designes and really do work identically.  Buy two of them soyou can
> test out the new Marlin 2.0 on a $6 Arduino before you commit to

Considering the simplistic gcode cura sends it, with custom m1xx commands
to control the heaters, Merlin is nowhere near able to do what LCNC can
do.  So I expect I'll just let it muddle along. I don't consider the
autobed mapping as all that useful unless the z screw setup is doubled,
putting another z motor on the opposite post. Even with enough string
being fed, I think the improved air flow from the extra air duct
probably demands a higher nozzle temp just to get a decent weld to the
next layer down. I've set a couple files to start at 210 so the start
layer sticks, but 200 gets me the feel of poor interlayer welding, so
with that improved cooling, I think 65C/210C might be a higher strength
combo. I have a 5x5x5 at 60/205 going now. To check dimensions now that
its using enough string.

> Then there are peopleusing LinuxCNC to drive 3D printers.  Seems silly
> to use a PC and a Mesa card when a $6 Aruduino can do the same job.
>
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 7:28 AM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > On Friday 19 June 2020 10:10:16 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > I can see bed, nozzle tmps, as they heat from a locally launched
> > > render of yet another 5x5x5, but not the filename or anything else
> > > the printer might be doing.
> > >
> > > Am I supposed to see it all?
> > >
> > > Thanks, but puzzled. I'll let it finish the 5x5x5 so I can check
> > > dimensions since I can't stop it from this machine. I have it
> > > useing enough string now so the 5x5x5 is probably fat.
> > >
> > > It finds the printer but I haven't actually added it to the list,
> > > maybe it takes that to do it all? I can't abort this locally
> > > started print from here.
> > >
> > > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> >
> > And I just found a limitation that pisses me off, there is better
> > firmware, Marlin 2.0, for it, but it only installs from a winders
> > box over spi via a presumably very short cable from some sort of an
> > spi adapter.  Has anyone made that work from Linux?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law
> > respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis

 - Louis D. Brandeis