On 2020-07-03 12:20 a.m., Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 03 July 2020 01:03:39 linden wrote:

Hello All,

      Any one here have real world experience with reliability of Solid
State Drives.

I have not had much luck with them my self and am wondering is this
normal or am I the exception to the rule as if you believe the
advertising they should last almost for ever.

First Experience around 2011 I bought 2 OCZ SSDs in Austria from 2
different retailers and ran them in 2 different laptops used for
office work travel, a little software development and running
industrial automation service software.  Both of these failed with in
6 months with no prior warning just one day not recognized on boot and
that was it. This was using Ubuntu 8.04 i think

Last year I tried again and bought an AFATA SU650 Ultimate in Canada.
This I got a little over a year ago and it failed yesterday I had some
warning it would boot work for about 5 minutes then turn read only and
my operating system would lock up. I got about 10 restarts like this
before it failed to the point where it is detected by the bios but it
is not mountable or read able. This was using Linux Mint 19 and 20.

For comparison an old western digital or Toshiba mechanical drive
usually last 4 plus years as long as not subjected to excessive shock
and  for the most part make noise before failing completely giving you
some warning.

I am running a used Samsung SSD now as a replacement in my current
laptop. There are obvious performance advantages but with these
reliability issues I still don't want to put them in production
linuxcnc machines or anything critical.

Any one else have similar experience or recommendations for a reliable
solid state drive.

thanks Linden

I've had better luck with the drives than I've had with the USB to sata
adaptors.

In fact I have 3 in daily use, one as the boot drive for a milling
machine, and 2 as development drives on an (was rpi3b, but its now an
rpi4b) and while the usb2 interface for those speedy drives had a high
failure rate, replacing the adapter with a different brand has revived
one such adata drive 3 times, and it will serve as the compile
scratchpad for both a 4.19-preempt-rt kernel, or a fresh copy of
linuxcnc's master branch. Takes the wear and tear off the u-sd the pi
boots from.  In short, since I put the pi's swap on one of those drives,
I have had zero drive or u-sd trouble in 2 years.  Theres a 120G
kingston in the mill, no spinning rust in either the mill or the Sheldon
Lathe.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

thanks Gene

with the laptop I will see how this Samsung drive holds up with linux mint 20

hopefully it is just my Mitus  touch turning things to crap and this drive lasts a little longer with this modern version of linux

linden