> There's a bit of a glitch with the 2004 update when it comes to SSDs.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffHIY6pOJUk
> It continually insists an SSD has to be "optimized" but there's a way to fix
> it.
>

>     On Friday, July 3, 2020, 11:34:30 AM MDT, Jon Elson
> <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:
>
>  On 07/03/2020 12:03 AM, linden wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> >    Any one here have real world experience with
> > reliability of Solid State Drives.
> >
> I have been using SSDs in several systems.  I have a travel
> laptop that has a small one, Ubuntu 14.04, I think.  It gets
> relatively light use.
>
> My main desktop has a 120 GB SSD that was initialized in
> Dec. 2016 and has gotten quite a bit of use,
> web browsing, email, electronic design, tax programs, and on
> and on.  I have a spinning hard drive there for backup every
> couple days.
>
> One thing to do, especially on older systems is to set the
> file system to noatime, and maybe a few other things.  This
> prevents a directory write EVERY TIME you open a file.
> Older systems didn't know to do this automatically when they
> detected an SSD, and it would chew up the disk lifetime with
> writes.
> Newer systems, I think, do know to set this for SSDs.  The
> SSD in my desktop is a Micron brand unit.
> I think you really DO want to stay with well-known brands.

Not sure if SSD is flash but know for flash in Micro controllers there is
usually a number of how many writes/erases it could handle. Think nor flash is
cheaper. Flash is usually erased in blocks to all zeros or ones, then data
could be written other way, a special algorithm is needed then data is stored
to minimize block erase but in case flash is used for SSD this might be handled
internally but still would expect the noatime plus a few other would be good.

Have a few computers with SSD and boot time is really fast, that's nice
especially if computer is only used sometimes, do not want to wait for machine
to boot.