On Sunday 12 July 2020 22:44:05 Leonardo Marsaglia wrote:

> > Currently - there is no way to adjust it.   I do run the
> > acceleration and velocity as high as I can.  (on the emco it is in
> > above 50in/s^2)  I do have some math that calculates the following
> > error of the shape (actual shape vs axis position) and decide how
> > fast to run the spindle to get the tolerance I want.  There should
> > be some sort of trajectory planning - but that might be above my pay
> > grade
> >
> > (mostly academic for me - just wanted to see how well it works...)
>
> Thanks for the feedback Sam. I'll have to dig in a little more to
> improve what I've done surely, but I guess only for the jobs I need to
> do from time to time the live tool is justified. I usually do 6 mm
> lift cams but sometimes I need to reach 9, 10 and even 11 mm of lift
> wich are almost dynamically impossible to turn with conventional
> tooling.

I find trying to imagine the method intriguing, as I already have an
offset module in use on the Sheldon, doing compensation for bed wear vs
z position, something that can be done very cheaply in the 200 hz jog
thread, but thats obviously too slow for this. No reason I couldn't map
an offset vs spindle, usable at backgear speeds or maybe even in 1st
gear direct. Something I could feed into the offset thru a sum2 from a
lookup table based on a MOD of encoder by scale function for the table
index. Something like a 240 tap deep lincurve, but can the pi4 handle
that in real time. Doubtfull as I can see other timeing problems Despite
the newer power supply giving me 40+ ipm at the x axis, I doubt the pi4
has enough processing power to pull that off. The ultimate limit would
be reached by adding a base-thread, which I don't have now, because that
sort of thing would need response at per encoder edge. That speed limit
then would be the 1 kilohertz servo-thread write to the stepgen.

One might experiment to find what those limits are with a siggen module
if it could be synched by a phase locked loop running at 6x spindle
index. Since its default is 1 hertz, it might make more sense for
testing to go to backgear and turn the spindle at 1/6th turn per second,
increaseing the gain of the triangle until a following error occurs. And
finding the minimum time for the phase-locked loop to stabilize the
spindle speed before advanceing the tool into cutting position, I can
imagine cutting a bolt head compatible with a 12 point box end wrench,
but not the pretty flats Sam got.  That would require running a sine
signal thru an ABS function in real time adjusting the gain for flatness
of facets.  Since thats a floating point function, servo-thread at 1
kilohertz would be its speed limit.  But is that speed limit usable?

IDK. :(

Middle of the night thought experiments, darned things cost me sleep but
never get done... Ought to be a pill for that.

> El dom., 12 jul. 2020 a las 15:52, Sam Sokolik (<samco...@gmail.com>)
>
> escribió:
> > Currently - there is no way to adjust it.   I do run the
> > acceleration and velocity as high as I can.  (on the emco it is in
> > above 50in/s^2)  I do have some math that calculates the following
> > error of the shape (actual shape vs axis position) and decide how
> > fast to run the spindle to get the tolerance I want.  There should
> > be some sort of trajectory planning - but that might be above my pay
> > grade
> >
> > (mostly academic for me - just wanted to see how well it works...)
> >
> > sam
> >
> > On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 1:32 PM Leonardo Marsaglia
> > <ldmarsag...@gmail.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Excellent job Sam.
> > >
> > > One question to the list in general. How are you managing the
> > > atenuation and phase displacement you get when you increase
> > > spindle rpm using eoffsets? Other than increasing the speed and
> > > accel of the axis I mean.
> > >
> > > I could cut cams with some success but I really can't follow the
> > > shape
> >
> > and
> >
> > > the phase with the same success and that's why I'm building a live
> >
> > tooling
> >
> > > jig to cut at really low spindle RPM to avoid this effect as much
> > > as possible. My particular problem is worse because all the
> > > machining of the cams has to be aligned with a keyway in the
> > > camshafts.
> > >
> > > El dom., 12 jul. 2020 a las 5:12, John Dammeyer
> > > (<jo...@autoartisans.com )

 - Louis D. Brandeis