On Wed, 22 Jul 2020, John Dammeyer wrote:

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 09:06:38 -0700
From: John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
To: "'Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)'" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Emc-users] Calculating table acceleration. Was: Need help with
    Bostomatic BD18-2 to linuxcnc

Ho Jon,

I've changed the subject line to be more relevant and corrected the gravity
value.

Now we have 1703 In/Sec^2 for maximum possible acceleration given the load and
torque ratings.

Is this including the ballscrew+motor inertia? this may be larger than the linear motions reflected inertia

On my system in imperial units I have 2.5 inches/second and I randomly picked the accel as 3x that. Does that mean I could set MAX_ACCEL to say 1700 and get away with that or is that number abnormally high? I know I can try it but I'd like to know if the math is accurate.

Probably not because of the drop in motor torque with speed as Sam mentioned
plus 1700 IPS/S and 2.5 IPS means full speed in about 1.5 ms. I doubt the bare step motor could do that...

MAX_VELOCITY = 2.5 MAX_ACCELERATION = 7.5 What I'm trying to do with this tool is to take out some of the guesswork or the accidental divide instead of multiply.

And second question. If someone is using metric units for their system what
units are used to describe MAX_VELOCITY and ACCEL?
Is it mm/minute? Or mm/second?  Or meters/second?   Is the weight specified in
grams or kg?

I want to be able to make the checkbox convert the imperial < = > metric
correctly.

Thanks
John Dammeyer

Peter Wallace