On Thursday 23 July 2020 01:57:46 John Dammeyer wrote:

> Hi Chris,

I think its difficult, if not impossible, to accurately predict what
performance you get just because there are so many variables.  Take the
x axis of my sheldon as a furinstance. With both axises running on
honking big toroid supplies, making about 43 volts in the case of the x
axis, it could not move at more than 30 ipm without stalling. Should be
unrelated changing the z motor from a 1600 oz/in nema 34 that could move
the Z at 72 ipm, on a 65 volt supply, out for a 3 phase, 3NM nema-23
running on a now 42.5 volt switcher, but because of the length of the
7.5 amp switcher, I had to remove both big toroids and install 2 of the
7.5 amp supplies. So x, still running on virtually the same voltage, one
would think it would still run the same.

Guess again. I have a new X speed limit of 120 ipm!  Actually thats
above, but the motor doesn't stall, it trips off the driver decelerating
from 120 ipm, but doesn't trip that 2M542 at 110 ipm.  The newer 3 phase
z driver can now do 120 ipm w/o any problems.  The x difference is only
the better regulation of the now switchmode supply thats within a volt
of the supply removed.

So I'll submit that only by building it and trying it, will you find the
limits. Accel limits were able to be raised from 3.75 to near 20 at the
same time. Results are so good that I may swap the nema-24 in the apron
out for a 2NM version of the 3 phase as its short enough to fit whereas
the 3NM is about 5mm too long and its rear would hit the bed.  OTOH, a
4x improvement in both speed AND accel, just by swapping its power
supply was a very pleasant surprise.

But I'll put some time on it as is. The main problem with the full 120
ipm movements is that the 2M542's don't have a fault output. So LCNC
keeps on blindly sending movements to a faulted driver.  Thats not good
when it happens, so I'll slow it back down a wee bit.

Anyway, have fun finding the limits, stay safe and well, all of you.

 - Louis D. Brandeis