Yes,  The the best and newest tooth profile the GT3 from Gates.  These are
quiet and have there smallest backlash and also the smallest belt tension
requirements.

Running a pass of a ball nose might make a working pully but the profile
will not be exact.   If you must MAKE a uleey the trick is to go the the
SDP/SI web sight (or McMaster Carr, or whatever) and download a CAD file
for the part.  It is easy to mill a pully if it lacks flanges.  So make it
in three parts and make some big washers to use as flanges if needed.
You can also print a GT3 pulley.

Be careful with Chinnese suppliers they abuse the name convention.   In
China "GT3" is a GT profile with a 3mm pitch. But elsewhere GT3 is the
profile and you say "GT3 with 5mm pitch and 9mm width" or whatever.

Just like gears the profile changes with the pulley size because when you
band a belt the teeth point inward depending on how tight you bend the
belt.     So if making you own, use a CAD file from a catalog.

Youcan also buy GT profile bar stock and slice it like bread to make custom
pulleys.  Then you get a perfect profiles and any custom hub you like.

What I do is make a metal hub in steel and then press fit/epoxy a 3D
printed ring of teeth over the hub,  These hold up really well and are easy
to make.  On a pulley all the stress in on the hub and set screw.  The
teeth only need to be as strong as the rubber teeth in the belt,  Aluminum
is overkill. PLA works there.   But PLA hubs fail very quickly.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 12:04 PM John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
wrote:

> What's the quietest profile/size belt for driving a spindle with 2HP up to
> 3000 RPM.
>
> I recall someone saying the round groove is the best for this.   Since
> we've been talking about gear cutters are there special cutters for that
> belt profile available?
>
> Thanks
> John

Chris Albertson