I've been using FreeCAD and I do like it quite a bit.  It's very
powerful.  The two downsides I see:

1) It's currently at version 0.19.  It's not polished software.  It's
definitely usable as is, but I save my work often.  It does crash
occasionally, usually when I do something stupid but sometimes for no
reason that I can discern.

2) Like GIMP, the open source user interface isn't the most intuitive.
Engraved text in FreeCAD is a good example.  Switch from the Part
workbench to the Draft workbench.  Select the ShapeString tool.  Enter
the text, text height and set the path to a TrueType font (it doesn't
use the system installed fonts).  Switch back to the Part workbench,
select the shape string that was just created and then select the
Extrude tool to make it into a 3D object.  You can then make a union of
the 3D text with another 3D object for raised text, or make a cut of the
3D text from another object for engraved text.

I've been using FreeCAD to put website addresses on the custom parts I'm
designing that are 3D printed on my MSLA resin 3D printer.  The
resolution is good enough that a simple font would probably be legible
in 1mm tall font (not with my old eyes!), although I usually make the
text 2mm or 3mm tall.

The above FreeCAD disadvantage #1 is helping with disadvantage #2.  The
less intuitive user interface features are evolving to be more intuitive
as the software matures, and that's a good thing.  Unfortunately, it
introduces a third disadvantage:

3) The FreeCAD demo videos on YouTube are quickly obsolete.  Many times,
I've found a video that explains some feature I want to use in FreeCAD,
but I'm using a later version of FreeCAD so the demo is fairly useless
because not only have the buttons all moved, many have disappeared to be
replaced by different buttons as a more intuitive method is
implemented.  Overall, it's moving in the right direction but FreeCAD
still has a few growing pains.

I'd be a jerk to complain that the completely awesome free open source
software isn't perfect, and doesn't work exactly the way I think it
should.  I currently have three different parts that I designed in
FreeCAD, printing on three different 3D printers.  I've only scratched
the surface of what FreeCAD can do (finite element analysis, anyone?),
but I'm definitely a satisfied customer.