Yes, that works in your case where the cable is short.   But what if this
were a CAN bus in a very noisy environment. So noisy that only slow speed
could work.   Image an electric car and you want to keep the from and rear
traction motors "balanced" so they don't work in opposition and you care
about 0.1% gains in efficiency.   These are 120 horsepower three-phase
motors working at 400 volts DC.  Your CAN bus is slow.  Your bos is nuts
and demands you solution have a 50 year design lifetime in an
automotive environment.   Tesla engineers solves this problem.

Now image you are given the same problem, Ok smaller moters, but this time
the "cable" has to reach to Mars and has a 14 minute speed of light delay.
And the environment is even worse than "automotive".   JPL engineers seem
to have solved this. (They could be the same engineers.  Both places are
within commute distance of my house and people here swap jobs every few
years.)

Here is one of by favorite "synchronized motors" videos.  "Atlas is a 28
degree of freedom machine.   All 28 motors are well synced
https://youtu.be/knoOXBLFQ-s?t=42

Here is another.  They built by mear mortals at a much lower cost.  They
use motors from quadcopter drones and some CNC'd metal parts. These are 12
"axis" machines, with three motors and three rotary encoders per leg.
These are "Open Source" so you can download the design files.
 https://youtu.be/G6fMV1UPzkg?t=86

SO motor syncing is possible and is done.  The machine tool use case is
actually easy compared to other things

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 5:41 PM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 August 2020 18:58:01 Frank Tkalcevic wrote:
>
> > An off topic question, not directly LinuxCNC related...
> >
> > How are motors on a serial bus controlled and synchronised?
> >
> > My only real control experience is with LinuxCNC with Mesa and
> > parallel port hardware where commands and feedback and precisely
> > timed.  Sending commands and receiving feedback over a serial link I
> > would expect to cause synchronising problems, and the bandwidth would
> > reduce the update rate.
> >
> > How are these issues handled?  I tried googling this, but didn't find
> > much -  I wasn't sure what to search for.
> >
> By running the serial connection at many megabaud speeds. With spi, I am
> issueing 32 bit command words with the pi's gpio's, writing to the 7i90
> at 40 megabaud, and reading the 7i90's replies at 25 megabaud.  With a
> transmission line only an inch long, its bulletproof.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Frank

> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
>  - Louis D. Brandeis

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California